From 1948 to 1952, more than 50 children from St. Joseph Parish in Marietta rode a Greyhound bus into Atlanta daily to attend the Sacred Heart Grammar School.
In 1952, the parish purchased the six-acre Suhr property at the corner of Campbell Hill and Lacy Streets. St. Joseph Catholic School opened in September 1953, staffed by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet. There were 85 children enrolled in grades one through four.
During the 1954-55 school year, the school building was enlarged with the addition of a temporary auditorium where the growing St. Joseph Parish held its Masses until a new church could be built. Later, this addition was converted into classrooms, the principal’s office and the faculty lounge.
In September 1960, a second school building was added on a portion of the property between the church and Lacy Street to accommodate the growing demand for Catholic education. Enrollment had grown to 400 students in grades one through eight. The new building consisted of four classrooms and a small teachers’ lounge.
In 1981, a library and meeting room were added to the lower school building. After lovingly serving the school for twenty-eight years, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet ended their ministry to the school during the 1980's.
In 2004, a new school building was opened. The upper school building provides classroom space for kindergarten, first grade and middle school as well as the Enrichment Area classes of art, music, Spanish, and computer. A beautiful gymnasium and Student Center are included in the building.